Sunday, March 16, 2008

Why I love to Run


I went for my 16 mile run early Friday morning and it rained the whole time. Benjamin took this picture of me when I got back because I was soaked to the bone and my ponytail was a tangled, matted fro. He thought I looked pretty funny. I keep forgetting that I can't run in the rain unless I do my Sacajawea braids. Anyway, it was such an amazing run. I finally conquered that monster of a hill that I haven't been able to make to the top since we moved here. It felt great!!! I felt so victorious I threw both hands up in the air in triumph and couldn't stop smiling.

That's one of the things that I love about running is those little moments of personal triumph. I may be almost 30 and have stretch marks and sagging tummy skin but I am stronger and healthier than I ever was 10 years ago. Running for me is like a metaphor for life in so many ways. There are so many spiritual parallels that I have drawn from my time on the treadmill and training for races. My biggest thing that I tell myself is to never give up no matter how hard or how tired I get. When I did the Yakima marathon last year that was one of my goals was to run the whole 26 miles without stopping. By the end of the race my white shirt was stained with blue Gatorade from trying to drink and run past the aid stations but I can't tell you how good it felt when I crossed that finish line and knew I had done it. I know this sounds terribly cheesy but that marathon made me feel so empowered as a woman. The only thing I can compare it to is going through natural childbirth. No matter how hard it hurts and how painful it is there is that moment when that baby is out that you feel the greatest relief and sense of accomplishment. There is nothing like it in the world.
That's why I'll probably never get an epidural. I can't imagine not going through that amazing experience it's just an indescribable feeling of power and strength.

There are so many things that I hate about my "post mommy" body. It's hard to look in the mirror sometimes and see what motherhood has done to me. My eyes are blood shot, I always feel like I look so tired and worn out, not to mention these extra 7-10 pounds that I think are going to be with me forever now. But as my body gets older and my skin gets saggier at least I have my running. I love to run because it makes me feel like a strong and powerful woman. When I hear the sound of the pavement under my feet and listen to my favorite songs I forget about the sagging skin and stretch marks and feel transformed into a beautiful, powerful woman that can accomplish anything and can succeed in everything. The feeling is almost euphoric and it only comes after a long, hard run.

2 comments:

Tiffany Jones said...

You have always amazed me and continue to do so. I love reading your blog. Miss you!

Mandee said...

I wish I could learn to love it like you do.