Thursday, April 10, 2008

A week ago toady.....

A week ago today I was on my way to urgent care for a "sore ankle." It seems crazy to me how much has happened in just one week.

First of all an update on Jacob:

After being in the hospital for 4 days Jacob was discharged Monday evening. The cultures from the lab did not come back with anything that could tell us exactly what type of infection it was. The doctor said that this is probably because they took the sample of the infection during his surgery which was more than 24 hours after he had already been on the antibiotic. They are treating it as a Group A systemic Strep infection. Which requires an antibiotic for the next 3 weeks.

Monday evening we had a home nurse come over to the house to get us set up with what we need to take care of him at home. He has to be given an antibiotic through his pick line (an infusion) every 6 hours. There is a process to doing this that at first seemed a little tedious and nerve racking (I won't bore you with the details) but I think I finally feel confident in doing it. The first few times I was pretty nervous because if you don't do it correctly or forget something, there is serious risk to harming him. For example, last night after giving him his 1 AM dose I was laying in bed and thinking about how scary it would be if I accidentally forgot to give him the Heparin flush after the antibiotic and saline flush. The heparin is so that the artery (that the pick line is inserted in) will not develop a clot. It really scared me to think that my son could be in the other room having a stroke if I don't do this right. It really scares me sometimes.

So this is going to be my life for the next 3 weeks. I have to admit I feel a bit home bound because Jacob still can't walk (he's on crutches) and I have to be able to give him his medicine every 6 hours which also means I'll be a bit sleep deprived from waking up at 1 AM every morning. The whole process takes about 40 minutes because there are things you have to do before and after the infusion and then it takes 30 minutes for the antibiotic to dispense. Aaron has been taking the 7AM dosing so that I can sleep in a bit, that's a big help.

Okay, I just read over what I wrote and I think I sound like a big whiner. I'm sorry about that. One thing this whole experience has taught me is how LITTLE I have to whine about and that I need to be tougher when it comes to trials and adversity. During this time I have really reflected on how hard it would be to have a child that has to be hospitalized for an extended or indefinite period of time. My heart aches for all the parents out there that have to watch their child suffer under these circumstances. I get choked up thinking about what it would be like if my child had cancer or some other life changing illness or disease.

I've also learned that I would be a terrible mother if something ever happened to Aaron. While Aaron was in the hospital with Jacob I had a really hard time adjusting to being at home alone. The first day I was so emotional and short with the kids. I fed them on hot pockets and cold cereal for 2 days and didn't feel like doing anything. I felt so depressed and frustrated I ate junk (including chocolate) and didn't exercise. We didn't have family scripture study and the first two nights we didn't even say family prayer at night. I would just let the boys sleep in my bed and put a movie on for them to watch so they would just fall asleep on their own and I wouldn't have to deal with anything. Anyway, it was a couple days before I felt like I got back into gear but even then, not having everyone at home really affected me in a negative way. Okay, now I'm just rambling.....

Thanks to all of you for your love and support through this little ordeal. I literally have been inundated with phone calls and messages from many of you that I haven't even been able to return yet. Heather stopped by to watch the kids this week so that I could go for a run and then made me a delicious gourmet lunch. Sherri brought home Jacob's homework and things from class, Jen watched the boys on Sunday during conference so I could go spend some time with Jacob at the hospital, and many other friends stopped by with balloons and flowers and get well wishes for Jacob. It has been so touching to have friends who really care.....thank you again so much. I love you all.

8 comments:

Mandee said...

I am glad to hear he is doing better! I feel exactly the same way about Dallan...me and therefore the kids would be a mess if he was not around to keep me grounded.

Heather said...

I am glad your sweet boy is home, and really impressed by what you are doing with his meds.

I am in the same husband boat. I don't even know how I would function with out Farrell. He is my rock!

Call me if you need anything!

Tiffany Jones said...

So is that why I am a terrible mom? That makes sense.

I'm so glad to hear that Jacob is home. What a terrible thing for him to have to go through...and you too.

Amanda Powers said...

hello it is 1:30 a.m I'm doing home work if your up and on the computer IM me. I'm glad Jacob is home. I hope he gets to be him self soon. I know my cousin is great but if you had to you would be just as good of mom as you are now. You just have had a traumatic situation on your hands and now your doing what you have to do. You will do great know matter what. I love you. Give the kids kisses for me. Everything happens for a reason!!!!

Amanda Powers said...

o-ya did you see I wrote something on my blog? You have to click on circus for it to come up. I messed up a couple times and couldn't fix my mistakes o-well. I'm a beginner at this blogging stuff. So if your wondering why some things don't make since that is why.

Jessica said...

Oh, Andria, I wish I could be there to hug you and to say you are doing a fabulous job. It just occurred to me that you might have posted something on your blog about all this. We have been thinking of and praying for Jacob.

I would also tell you that you would NOT be a horrible mother without Aaron. You might struggle, but then you would adjust. Hmmm, how might I know that...? Sure, it would be nice if we took every challenge as it comes and totally rose to the occasion without struggle, but then what would the point of this life be? If it wasn't hard, we wouldn't learn. And I don't mean if the trial wasn't hard, I mean, if it wasn't hard for us to deal with the trial. There is a difference there. And the next time you are on your own, you'll snap out of faster or not be so discouraged.

Anyway, give Jacob (and yourself) a great big hug from me. Be sure to keep updating us on his progress.

Love you.

cydnee said...

Andria~ I clicked on your blog through Shelleena's and I knew immediately from your title what you were referring to..I love that song too and have it on my ipod..then I cried at your first post on when you first listened to the words of that song.

I am so sorry all the trouble that Jacob has had..I am glad he is home from the hospital and hope he feels back to his ol self really soon. I have met you at the resolution races and today while eating lunch I read your entire blog! Got sucked in and couldn't stop & I really love it & fun to learn more about you & it is fun to see your adorable children too. Absolutely loved your post after running (& the pictures! laughed at the pony tail cause I have that problem too so will try the braid sometime!) & I can relate so much to what you said about running..very beautifully said.
I talked to Sherri yesterday and she said you were doing the Tacoma marathon. My husband and I will be running the 1/2. I hope I get to see you..best of luck to you..only a few more weeks! Take care and lots of get well vibes sent to your sweet Jacob!
:) Cydnee

These Small Hours said...

Hi Cydnee,
I totally remember you from the resolution races. You are the speedy girl!
It was good to hear from you and thanks for your sweet comments.
Jacob is recovering really well. Do you have a blog? I'd love to visit it sometime. I know so little about you but you seem like a really amazing lady!