Friday, October 24, 2008

Leavenworth Marathon

I didn't do it.
I was so close but not close enough to make my goal.

I wanted a sub 4 time but had to settle with a finish of 4 hours 1 minute and 45 seconds. Can you believe that!!! My pace was supposed to be around 8:40 min/miles but the course had some good hills and that coupled with a couple wrong turns (not the most clearly marked course) didn't help. Still though, I can't help but wonder if maybe I had run harder on the hills and slowed down less to drink at the aid stations would I have made my goal? I guess I'll never know.......all I can do is try it again next year. (: I did beat my husband's time from the marathon we ran together 2 years ago though and that felt GOOD! (: It also felt good at about mile 24 to still have enough steam to pass half a dozen men who I thought would have surely smoked me, (they looked really young and fit).

Overall it was a good race and I feel like I redeemed myself from the Tacoma Marathon in May. I finished 8th overall for women. The winner had a time of 3:23....... amazing!!!

I also wanted to tell my good friend Sherri how awesome she was. We run together and she drove me to the race and met me at the half way point to run with me and keep my spirits up. She was SO encouraging and really kept me going on those last few miles when it gets really tough. Thank you Sherri, you are a really great friend!

After the race,...... don't I look lovely!


3 comments:

Shannon Morgan Photography - Bainbridge Island, WA Photographer said...

you guys are so inspiring!! great job andrea!!

Sherri said...

Ohhh that was sweet of you! As you know I really had a nice time. I loved the feelings of a race, the anxiety, the butterflies, seeing all the people. It really was a great day and I am glad that I could share a part of that with you. As for your time. You were so close and I know that will just motivate you that much more for the next one!

Tiffany Jones said...

Reading this made me miss you so much i actually got teary eyed. we need to come up for a visit soon. Way to go!!!!