Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Brotherly Brawls

Is this going to be my life for the next 15 years? Breaking up fights???


After doing 50 push-ups (as punishment) I sent Jacob upstairs this morning to apologize to Joseph for decking him in the ear (it was really red). I followed closely behind him to make sure he apologized "correctly". This is the dialogue that followed....

JACOB: "Sorry for hitting you Joseph"

MOM (standing behind him): “Ask him if his ear is okay."

JACOB: "Is your ear okay?"

JOSEPH: "No, it still hurts"

MOM to Jacob (who is still not showing much sympathy): "Jacob have you ever been hit in the ear before? It really hurts."

JACOB: "NO, but I've been kicked in the penis before,.......... by HIM!!!"


I grew up in a house full of girls (my poor brother was in the middle of 4 sisters), so I'm not used to these brotherly brawls that erupt from time to time. I worry about what's going to happen when they're older and bigger and could really hurt each other......
How much of this is just normal brotherly behavior and how much of it is my responsibility to intervene? Last night Aaron and I were laying on the couch after dinner when something erupted between Jacob and Joseph. I'm not sure what started it but Jacob got mad and started trying to take Joseph down..... before I knew it they were in another brawl wrestling on the floor. Joseph was laughing at Jacob who was trying to pin him down which only made Jacob even more mad. Aaron held me back as I tried to intervene and just told me to let them duke it out. "Sometimes boys need to get physical, it's good for them to wrestle it out" he said.... In the end it did end up okay....no one was hurt and they ended up both laughing. I'm just reminiscing of a time when I didn't feel like a full-time referee.

What's it like when sisters get mad at each other? I'd love to know how girls "duke it out."


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hair pulling, pinching, slapping, ear-piercing screeches...it isn't pretty.

Shannon Morgan Photography - Bainbridge Island, WA Photographer said...

i love the dialoge! that is hilarious!! i am glimpsing into my future, which already is manafesting in my home, well as much as it can between a 4yr old and 1 yr old!!

Tiffany Jones said...

Aaron manages to get pretty physical with his sisters. It drives me crazy!

Sherri said...

ok that made me laugh out loud...sorry for you Andria!

Courtney said...

I agree with Pam - but mostly yelling and screaming and a lot of "Mooooommmmm!" The dialoge at the beginning was pretty funny though. I'm glad you included that. At what point to break up the fighting though? I don't know. I usually wait until things are getting physical, but I guess if they start out that way... Maybe you should defer to Aaron on this one!

A Case of Spanglers said...

Well in Daniel's house there were 5 boys. They were usually told to take it outside and "resolve" the issue out there. And to this day, they still love to wrestle each other. 4 of th 5 of them are in their 30's. I'm definitely not a fighter but I'd go with what Aaron said when it comes to boys...not that I have any experience raising boys. Best of luck to you in that department Andria! I just hear lots of MMMOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMM in my house.