Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Passing of a Great Man

Sunday evening Aaron got a text message on his phone that announced the passing of President Gordon B. Hinckley. In that moment there was a stillness that fell over the house. Although it was not surprising it was nonetheless a startling moment. I remember in a recent conference address President Hinckley stating that he felt like the 'last leaf on the tree'. My heart went out to him as I imagined how lonely these past few years must have been for him without the companionship of his wife. And so even though it is a sad time for us it is wonderful that a man who lived such a good life can now "lay this mortal by" and return to loved ones awaiting him on the other side.

Earlier today I watched a slide show that someone e-mailed me of President Hinckley. As I was watching it, the boys came in and gathered around the computer to watch it too. The tears flowed freely as I watched and listened and remembered our beloved prophet. Jacob (who was sitting on my knee) kept looking back at me every few seconds and Joseph asked a few times why I was crying. I could only manage to mutter between my tears "because I'm going to miss him".

Words cannot express the deep love and appreciation I have for this man. I have felt closer to him than any other prophet. I have loved and admired him for his Christlike ways, for his enthusiasm for the gospel, for his embracing nature and love for his fellowmen. More than any other prophet I think he has done more to reach out to the world and those not of our faith and tear down walls of self righteousness and teach us that we are all children of our Heavenly Father. Whether from Africa or Asia, whether Buddhist or Baptist, Convert or pioneer ancestry. He has loved us all and been a great prophet for our time. How I will miss him!

Below is the link to the slide show:

http://magazine.byu.edu/?act=view&a=2167


No comments: