Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Smart Boy


I found this piece of paper today in the office (you have to click on the picture to see the writing). During the kids naps Jacob will often write, draw or color pictures, (he has AM Kindergarten). Anyway, I found this paper among others on his table in the office, he must have been working on it while I was putting the kids down for their naps. I am so amazed at how his little mind works. He has always loved math and asks us to "do math" with him while we're driving in the car. He can add and subtract such odd numbers it's amazing. Often times Aaron will give him a math problem and he figures out the answer about the same time that I come up with it in my head. I showed this paper to Aaron tonight and he asked me to scan it and send it to his e-mail address at work so he could show it to his co-workers. Apparently, he has the mind of a programmer or something computer related like that. All I know is he doesn't get it from me......

3 comments:

Mandee said...

Okay that is amazing! He is in kindergarten? All I can say is impressive!!! Oh, and by the way I hope I wasn't offensive in my response to your last post, I wasn't trying to come off as judgemental in any way. I was just trying to say that sometimes I am way too relaxed when it comes to certain things. One time we were at Dallan's sister's house and there was a movie she wouldn't let her kids watch or at least the first part of it and I of course asked her why. She said she didn't want her kids to see death (it was the Lion King), I had never thought about that before. Sometimes I feel bad because I DON'T think about those kind of outside influences. I just have the attitude of it will all work out in the end and sometimes I SHOULD be more careful or thoughtful.All in all I was just trying to say I think you are a great mom who gives lots of thought to the things you want your children exposed to. Again, sorry for the long response!

These Small Hours said...

You weren't offensive at all! I was just happy to have a response from someone. I guess as I look back over my post there are a lot of things I left out that were on my mind so maybe it wasn't a very complete thought, but I thought that it was funny that I didn't get very many responses. I was thinking that I really must have different ideas than most moms, (especially moms who don't have boys). I agree with you about the movie thing too (although I do shelter my boys on what they watch). I am not at all afraid to let them see real and natural things like death or a baby being born (partially edited of course), I think it provides great opportunities to have conversations and to teach your children about life. I just don't agree with letting your children (atleast ones as young as mine)watching movies or cartoons with unnecessary violence or scary themes or characters. There will be time enough for them to learn about all the hate, violence and abuse that's in our world, I'd rather preserve their innocence for as long as I can.
One plus to doing this too is that your kids may not have bad dreams or nightmares. With 3 imaginative boys I have never had to deal with bad dreams or nightmares. I think it's because I'm not putting anything into their young minds that can develop into a frightening or scary thing.

How's this for a long post!
I love ya!

Mandee said...

I am glad I wasn't offensive! Isn't it funny how "relaxed" we can be on some things and then on those that we personally feel passionate about watch out because we are not budging! By the way I am so glad we are all keeping in touch, even if it is by leaving a comment here and a comment there!