Monday, December 1, 2008

Tokens of Love...

I've been meaning to post this for weeks now.....


In addition to bringing me flowers, (when they are in season that is) Joseph frequently leaves little love notes on my pillow, bed or nightstand. I usually find them when I come upstairs to go to bed at night or when I'm in my room cleaning. They are completely random and he does them in secret so I'm never expecting them when I find them but it never fails to melt my heart.

(Found on my bed-he used my necklace from my jewelry box to shape a heart)



Now that Lauren is getting older he has started doing the same types of things for her. When Joseph started Kindergarten this September he started bringing home what I call little tokens of his love. In his class they have "choice time" where you can do/ or play anything you want for about 20-30 minutes. During this time he will frequently be over at the "recycled art" station where he cuts out hearts and writes "Mom" or "Lauren" on them. I volunteer in his class so I see him over there quietly working on his "projects" and it is the sweetest thing. He also makes these little "bracelets" out of paper strips that he decorates with stickers. On the inside he writes a little love message. The first time he brought them home he was so excited to show Lauren. He would pull them out of his backpack and lovingly slip them on to her wrist. I had to take a picture of these bracelets and some of the other "tokens of love" that I've caught on camera as I've found them over the past few months- I don't ever want to forget this.

(One of the many bracelets he has made and brought home)


(A little love note to me with very carefully drawn hearts)




( A "card" he made at choice time taped together with a message inside)




( I was not as thrilled about finding this one. He drew it on the sheet on my side of the bed-Oh well, at least it's washable marker)


Taped to the front door so that when I came downstairs it would be the first thing I saw in the morning.....you have to click on it to see the note he wrote)



Joseph has been probably the most challenging to raise of all the kids. But, although his forgetfulness, inability to focus, and silly, goofy antics frequently push me to the edge (and sometimes over it) I am grateful for his little tokens of love and his sweet nature that frequently soften my heart and give me the strength to get through the more challenging times as his mother.


4 comments:

Heather said...

Andria I have a daughter who is also very similar to Jojo. She is
sometimes more trying to raise but her overwhelming affection and love for me and her family soften my heart every time!

I really believe it is a gift from Heavenly Father to have these strong character traits co-exist. What is blessing for them and us, is that they are being raised in a home of Faith.

I consider Caitlin when she is an adult, and know that as she refines her "enthusiasm" that it will be to her benefit and a blessing to those around her.

We are so lucky to have children like this, and even more blesed to recognize as you have done in this post their innate goodness!

Thank you for this gentle reminder for me, of my own sweet daughter!
I love you!

Sherri said...

Totally sweet and I love the tokens of love and affection. He is such a good boy and I love you have the pictures to remind you!

Anonymous said...

These are so sweet and tender. It says a lot about his heart, but I suspect that your reactions to these expressions of love have played a big role in his continuing them. My daughter number 3 made a Christmas present at school for her Dad and when she was telling me about it, she said, "you know how sometimes Daddy cries when he really likes something? I think he'll cry when he sees this." I wasn't that surprised that she was aware of his emotional responses, but I was surprised that she was anticipating such a reaction in response to her gift.

The Harts said...

Andria that is the most sweet thing!! I hope my boys have a little of that in them as well :)