Sunday, February 22, 2009

My little Piano man


One of the things that I love about volunteering in the school is that I get the chance to see my kids in the classroom setting. It's surprising to see (even at these younger grades- Kindergarten and 1st grade) to see such a difference between my boys and the majority of their peers. I always walk away at the end of the day feeling good about myself as a mother. In addition to this much needed boost of "Mommy self esteem" an added bonus that I've recently enjoyed is seeing some of the class work they're doing that doesn't come home in their Friday folder. Each day they have a writing assignment that stays in their composition notebook in their desk. When I'm in Jacob's class I usually try to sneak away during their story time and read his recent entries in his notebook. He always entertains me with what he writes and it's fun for me to get a little peek into his thoughts as this notebook is kind of like a journal for him. When I went into class this last Thursday this was one of the entries that I found.


In case you are not skilled at reading 1st grade writing "osom" is the phonetic spelling for "awesome." And yes he really is good at playing the piano. I told Aaron recently that this is the best money we ever spent and that it's so rewarding to see him growing and improving each week. I don't even have to remind him to practice anymore because he really does love it. Makes things so much easier for me. I just wish that he was a little more humble about it. (:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's sweet, and so nice that he enjoys playing.

Last year when I volunteered in my eldest daughter's sixth grade class, the teacher would sometimes have me read through the students' journals and make spelling and grammar notes. There were still some sweet and interesting things in some of them, but some of the entries were a little disturbing.

Ari Anna Johnson said...

Hey, I just found your blog!!! I miss you guys.