Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Getting Ready for Christmas....

In search of the perfect tree.....


We took the kids out of school early on a Friday so we could get our tree before it got too dark. It was FREEZING cold outside so we bundled up good. After driving over acres and acres of trees with the kids riding in the back of the trailer we found the perfect tree. It was a little shorter than Daddy had wanted. He kept picking out trees that he thought would fit in our house but I think he was forgetting how tall 8 foot ceilings are. He would get so excited about finding the perfect tree and after we'd all come to look I'd have to burst his bubble by telling him it was way too tall. This happened a couple of times. "It's not too tall, it's perfect!" he'd say. But after being put to the tape-measure test, he learned that an 11 foot tree can look like an 7 foot tree when you're out in the open woods. (:



Decking our Halls


I love traditional Christmas decorations. Red, Gold and Green are the only colors I need.....
Every year though Aaron reminds me that I'm "no fun" because I won't let him put colored lights on the tree. Our compromise is that he gets to put colored lights on the outside of our house.
"I'm sorry honey but you married an interior decorator- I'm never going to be okay with colored lights on the tree." He usually mumbles something about white lights being boring and colored lights being magical. Hopefully though, (even without the colored lights) our children will still remember our Christmas decorations as being magical.



Gingerbread House


This gingerbread house was decorated entirely by the kids and also eaten entirely too. We put the house on the piano when it was done and within 24 hours every piece of candy had been picked off and eaten. I even saw Jacob leaning across the piano on his stomach taking a bite out of the tree using only his teeth. It must have been pretty yummy, but I guess I'll never know because now it's gone. (:

4 comments:

Jenniferb said...

Great job on the decor! Very classic~

Anonymous said...

Your home is beautiful and I love the Christmas decorations. Even using my husband as a "tape measure" we had to chop off the top of our tree to fit it in our house. My husband likes colored lights on the tree, too, and since it's decorated with a hodge podge of homemade ornaments, I go along with it.

Shannon Morgan Photography - Bainbridge Island, WA Photographer said...

SO beautiful!!! i lost the battle of colored lights on my tree this year, but NEXT year is MINE!!! :)!! your home is beyond beautiful!!!!! so inspiring :)!!

The Harts said...

Andrea, the decorations look FABULOUS!! What a gorgeous home. Looks like you and your little crew had a beautiful Holiday season!