Thursday, December 13, 2007

Christmas Cards are done!


Last year was the first year that I didn't get a letter out, so I'm really happy that I not only did it this year but it was out before December 25th! I know that some people hate getting people's family letters each year so I hope if you got our card that you won't be rolling your eyes. (: I must confess that my biggest motivation for doing a letter each year is for selfish reasons. Every year I punch 3 holes in the letter and stick them in our family history binder. I know in the years ahead my kids will have fun looking back at the picture page and reading about what they were doing in 2007. (Just an idea for anyone who loves record keeping) Anyway, I hope you are all doing well. If you're reading this you probably already got our letter but I thought I'd post it here anyway. Here it is:




Dear Family & Friends,

We hope you are all doing well and that you will have a wonderful Holiday season with your friends, family and loved ones. Last year we didn’t get Christmas cards out because life was too hectic. We enjoyed getting your cards though and thank you for the letters and pictures of your family that you sent. We love seeing pictures and hearing news about your growing families.

The past two years have been packed with surprises and new experiences that have brought a lot of change. A few of these include the birth of our daughter Lauren on September 27th of last year, Aaron, starting a new job with The Walt Disney Company in Seattle, and moving into an old fixer-upper house this past August. Life has been busy and a bit crazy but amidst the stress and chaos we continually remember how blessed we are to have a busy, bustling household filled with the chatter and noise of little voices.

Jacob (who just turned 6) started Kindergarten this fall. He enjoys his teacher and class and would probably say his favorite subject is recess. Jacob has really taken an interest in drawing over the past couple of years. Every day he will draw one or more pictures with his crayons and markers. His favorite things to draw are race cars and pictures of Dad’s Bronco. He is very obsessed with speed and how fast things can go. He is also really taking an interest in sports. For his birthday he asked for a “Seattle Mariners” party with his friends and for his present all he wanted was to go to a Mariners game with Dad. Jacob is a very helpful boy that takes the role of older brother very seriously. He is a great helper and example to his younger brothers and sister.

Joseph (4 ½ years old) is “all boy” but has a soft spot in his heart for his Mommy and little sister. I often tell Aaron that one day he is going to be a great husband. He constantly brings hand picked flowers to Mommy (and now Lauren too) and tells us both when we look “beautiful & pretty.” He mentions regularly in his prayers that he is so thankful for his little sister, “because she is so sweet and pretty.” For Lauren’s fist birthday I let the boys each pick out a present and he wanted to get her “pretty berets for her hair so that she can be so beautiful.” Joseph is also very enamored with cars and “shooting” them as we drive by. “Pow, Pow, I shot that Mustang or Corvette…or Jeep…” is something we frequently hear in the back seat of our car. Joseph started soccer this fall and really loved it. He was a very aggressive little player and frequently scored many goals for his team. Joseph also has a very creative imagination and will often say the most unusual things.

Benjamin is 3 years old and is a very independent little boy. We thought Joseph had a stubborn streak until Ben came of age. He will not be outdone by his brothers and is our little “tough kid,” constantly getting bumps and bruises but rarely crying about it for more than a few seconds before he’s off and playing again. He loves playing matchbox cars with his brothers and reading stories with Mommy. His favorite book by far is “Green Eggs & Ham” which we’ve read more times than I care to count. Ben will often say and pronounce things in very cute ways that make us all laugh. An example of this happened just recently when the boys were helping me plant flower bulbs down by the big pond. That evening at dinner when asked what his favorite part of the day was he said, “Planting light bulbs with Mom down at Horseshoe pond.”

Lauren is now 14 months old and is really starting to get the hang of walking. She has a very sweet disposition and a calm spirit. She likes (even at this young age) pretty & shiny things (like flowers and jewelry) but is still very much at home making car noises as she pushes her brother’s trucks across the floor. She has started saying a few words and has finally grown hair long enough for us to put pig tails in. Having a little girl has been a special thing in this household of boys. We are all enjoying her and her sweet personality very much.

Aaron and I are doing well and keeping busy. Earlier this year I talked Aaron into training with me for the Yakima River Canyon Marathon at the end of March. At first he thought I was crazy but then he caught the bug and did it with me. After we finished he swore he’d never do it again but has since talked of doing it with me again this spring. (I think we both want to break the 4 hour mark- darn that competitive nature!) This July we also participated in a 12 man relay with friends running 200 miles in just over 24 hours. It was quite a sleepless adventure, but one that offered many funny moments and great memories. Aaron is enjoying his job and keeps busy now with projects around the house and on the property. Aaron still plays basketball with friends at church every Thursday night. He also likes playing with the boys and continues to be a great Dad. The older the boys get the more they like spending time with Dad ; helping him build things, clear the property and go for rides in his Bronco. My time is pretty much taken up with raising these little ones but I’m starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel amidst all the work tending to their many needs. I really love reading to the kids and have started reading some of the classics to the boys before bed, “James & the Giant Peach,” “The Boxcar Children” and “The Magic Tree house” It is so much fun rediscovering these books with my kids! I don’t have much time for hobbies (other than running), but I do enjoy my regular nights out with girlfriends and trips to the mall with Lauren.

Well, I’m running out of room so I guess that means it’s time to end. We love you all and hope you have a merry Christmas and a bright and blessed New Year! Love, The Laws Family

3 comments:

Jessica said...

First of all, stop waking up so early!

Second of all, stop beating me to the punch--I have been planning to post my Christmas letter and card, but wanted to wait until the mailed ones could show up in people's mailboxes. Now I am going to look like I am a big copycat. Thanks a lot. ;-).

Thirdly, I love your Christmas card. Thanks for sharing your family with us!

These Small Hours said...

You crack me up. (:

Heather said...

Andria loved your christmas letter and pictures! Great idea about putting it in a binder too!

I do that as well, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE reading my old christmas letters from when the kids were tiny, what a crack up! In one I was talking about having to take care of Alexa (Whah one child) and how we were doing a service to the world by creating another beautiful James Baby! LOL! Who knew there would be 4 more to follow!! :)