Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Brotherly Love


Aaron was telling me about something that happened Friday night on the way back from their bike ride. I wanted to post it here so that I won't forget either.

Jacob had stung his finger on a Nettle while he was pushing his bike up the hill. He was crying and saying that he couldn't push his bike the rest of the way but Aaron couldn't really help him at that moment because he had Lauren and was pushing Ben's bike up the hill plus his own. So he continued up the hill and told Jacob he was just going to have to be tough and push his bike up anyway. When he got to the top and brought Lauren into the house he saw Joseph (who had already pushed his own bike up the hill) walk back down the hill toward Jacob and started pushing his big brother's bike up the hill for him. Jacob's bike is much bigger than Joseph's and he could see that he was really struggling to get it up the hill. Aaron was looking out at them from the front porch and snapped this picture because he said he didn't want to forget to tell me (later that night) what Joseph had done for his brother.

For me, one of the greatest blessings of being a mother is to see my children getting along and loving each other. It fills my heart with a special kind of joy to observe them showing compassion or comforting their brother (or sister) when they are in need. I remember the first few times that I started noticing them doing little things like this for each other and it really melted my heart. It also taught me an important lesson about myself and helped me understand better the scripture from Mosiah that says "when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God." How happy it must make our Father in Heaven to see us helping our brothers and sisters here below. I know that when we sincerely and unselfishly help others and do what we can to lift their burdens and help those in need we are not only giving service to them but I believe are bringing joy to the heart of our Heavenly Father.

2 comments:

Tiffany Jones said...

That is so sweet. How is Jacob feeling?

Sherri said...

a very sweet moment and great of Aaron to remember to tell it and snap a picture. Very sweet!